In the early 1950’s, a group of people from First Baptist Church in downtown Boise had a desire to reach west Boise with the gospel. That desire ultimately led them to plant Second Baptist Church on May 13, 1955. The church built its first building a year later on Curtis Road, just south of St. Alphonsus Hospital which was the heart of west Boise in the 1950’s.
Second Baptist Church outgrew that building and decided to relocate in the 1970’s. They retained their original vision of reaching west Boise with the gospel as they looked for a new location. A member of the church, who was also a developer, said the intersection of Overland and Five Mile was slated to become a major retail center for west Boise.
Though it was only corn fields at the time, the church built its current facility in 1976. An addition was added to the building in 1998 and the congregation voted to change its name to The Summit Church in 2009.
In over 60 years of ministry we've only had five Senior Pastors and we've never experienced a church split. The Summit Church has had a history of unity and longevity that we believe is a strong testimony to our community.
Though our location and name have both changed since 1955, our vision remains the same. God has called us to be light for the gospel in west Boise. We are excited that God continues to use us in this community and abroad through our missions work!