"The Disadvantage of Wealth" - Mark 10:23-31
What do you think Jesus saw as He looked around that prompted the remark He makes in verse 23?
- What did Jesus say in verse23 that amazed the disciples? Why do you think they were amazed?
- What is it about riches that makes it hard for a person to enter into the kingdom of God?
- In what way does Jesus remark in verse 24 - "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God" - go beyond just it’s application for the rich?
- In what ways is it hard for all of us to enter the kingdom of God? What have you already learned from Mark 9: 42 – Mark 10: 22 that can help you answer this question? Checkout the following passages to more fully understand our disadvantages when it comes to entering the kingdom of God. What are our disadvantages? Jeremiah 17:9; Isa. 64:6; Matt. 7:13-14; Mark 10: 18 (no one is good but God alone); Romans 3:23...
- What does Jesus mean when in verse 25 He said it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God? Most scholars believe that Jesus is using hyperbole, which is an obvious and intentional exaggeration to more effectively make a point. What is the point Jesus is making?
- What do you think Jesus disciples heard Him say that explains their question in verse 26?
- What was Jesus answer to the question -"Then who can be saved"?
- What does Jesus answer reveal about how much our salvation depends upon God? How does it help us understand more fully what it means when scripture says our salvation depends upon the grace of God (Ephesians 2:8,9) and that "God is for us" (working on our behalf)? See Romans 8: 26 – 34.
- What does it mean that all things are possible with God? Within the context of these verses what do you think this means?
- Why do you think Peter said what he did in 28? What do you think his concern was?
- How did Jesus address Peter's concern? What does Jesus answer reveal about God's knowledge of our lives and His care for us?
- How does the truth Jesus shared in verses 29-30 encourage each of us to trust Jesus and follow Him?
- Why do you think Jesus ends His answer to Peter with verse 31? What does He want the disciples to remember as they give up everything to follow Him?
- In what ways does Jesus teaching in this passage apply to you?
- In what way are you going to apply what you have learned?