"A Question of Resurrection" - Mark 12:18-27
- Who are the Sadducees and why were they asking Jesus a question about marriage? Why ask a question based upon a resurrection they do not believe in? What did they hope to gain from Jesus answer?
- What are the two reasons the Sadducees are mistaken about Moses teaching in Deut.25:5-10? What was Moses attempting to address in Deut. 25 and in what ways does this example in Mark 12 demonstrate the misuse of Scripture?
- From verse 25 what do we learn about marriage and the marriage relationship after the resurrection?
- What was marriage given by God for, and how are those reasons no longer needed or completely fulfilled in Heaven?
- In what ways was the marriage relationship on earth designed to teach us (let us see) what our relationship were to be like in Heaven? With Jesus? With each other?
- What is the resurrection from the dead and how does that resurrection change things?
- What does it mean that after the resurrection in relation to marriage we will be like the angels in heaven? What does this tell us about our relationship with each other in Heaven?
- How does this passage teach against the popular notion that when we die we will become angels in heaven?
- Why does Jesus in verse 26 bring the discussion back to the real issue which is the reality of the resurrection? Why is it more important to deal with the resurrection than it is with the question of marriage? In what ways is this still true today?
- Why does Jesus use Exodus 3:6 and what is the point He is making with the Sadducees about who God is? What do we learn about God from this passage?
- What does it mean that God is not a God of the dead but of the living? Why is that important for us today? Check out 1 Cor. 15 (especially vs. 12- 19).
- How does the resurrection help us understand who God is and the power He has?
- In what way does much of our confusion and misunderstanding about the way life works come from the fact that we do not know God? How does knowing who God is and what He is like, help us have a better understanding of what He has said to us in His Word?
- What have you learned from this passage and how are you going to apply what you have learned?