"The Cross" - Mark 15:22-39
- In what ways does Jesus crucifixion fulfill what Isaiah wrote of Messiah in Isaiah 53? What specific things were fulfilled?
- How does Psalm 22: 1, 6-18 help us understand the full magnitude of what Jesus suffered and was willing to suffer for our sins?
- In what way does Psalm 22 accurately describe a form of execution (crucifixion) that had yet to be invented and was totally unknown to David?
- Read the crucifixion accounts in Matthew 27: 33 – 54; Luke 23: 33-49: John 19: 17 – 37. Why do you think Mark left certain details out that are contained in each of the other Gospels?
- In what way does the full testimony of scripture including the Gospel accounts and the prophetic accounts in Isaiah and Psalms help us more fully understand the dread Jesus felt in the garden in Mark 14: 32 – 36? How does the Cross help us understand the "cup"?
- In what way does Jesus death on the Cross help you understand how much God love you? Romans 5:8
- How does Jesus death on the Cross guarantee what Paul says in Romans 8: 31, 32? How does the cross help us fully trust the reality that God is for us?
- How does Jesus crucifixion help us more fully appreciate John 3:16 and Philippians 2: 1-11?
- What did Jesus mean when He cried out what He did in verse 34? Had God really forsaken Him? Why would God do that? Consider 2 Cor. 5:21.
- What does it mean that the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom (vs. 38)? What does this signify and why is it important for you and me?
- What did the Centurion testify of Jesus and how do you think he came to that conclusion? Consider John 14:11
- What have you personally come to understand about Jesus death on the Cross? Concerning His love for you? The fact that He is for you? The fact that because of His death on the Cross salvation and forgiveness of sin is available to all?
- How are you going to apply what you now know?