"The Grave" - Mark 15:40-47
- Who is Joseph of Arimathea?
- Why is it that Joseph had to gather his courage to go to Pilate and ask for Jesus body?
- What does it mean that Joseph was "waiting for the kingdom of God"?
- In what way do you think Joseph thought Jesus was a part of that kingdoms coming? In what way do you think Jesus death impacted Joseph concerning that expectation?
- Why do you think it was so important to Joseph to be given Jesus body?
- What was Pilates concern with Joseph's request? How did he resolve that concern? Check out the details in John 19: 31 – 42.
- How does what Joseph ministry to Jesus body in verse 46 reflect the burial customs of the Jews? See John 19:40 Why do you think they prepare a body for burial this way?
- In what way did Joseph's ministry to Jesus reflect his care and willingness to openly identify with Jesus? What do you think caused him to take this bold step?
- In what way does Jesus death speak into our own mortality and its reality?
- Why was it important that Jesus be killed and then buried for three days? Consider 1 Corinthians 15: 3,4 as you develop your answer.
- In what way did Jesus death and burial forever change the way we view death? Our own burial?
- Why do you think we tend to move from Jesus death on the cross to His resurrection without really considering the importance of His burial? In what way does this same dynamic hold true about our thinking of our own deaths?
- What have you learned from this passage and how are you going to apply it?