"Time With God" - May 27, 2018
No sermon audio for this week.
- What does it mean in verse 5 that "He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us"? Why is important that we know that?
- In what way is your answer to question one form the foundation of spending time with God? How does it help us understand that God really does want time with us?
- Why is it important that we know that God is opposed to the proud but gives grace to the humble when it comes to spending time with Him?
- What is the "greater grace "in verse 6 that makes actually spending time with God possible?
- Why is submission to God so important to our drawing near to Him? In what way is this submission different than humbling ourselves? (see verse 6, 10)
- What does it mean to draw near to God? How do we do that according to this passage? Check out Jeremiah 29: 12-14; Isa. 55:6.
- In what way does submitting to God enable us to draw near to Him?
- What does God say will happen when we draw near to Him? Why do I need what God is offering?
- Why is this important when it comes to resisting the devil?
- Why do you think James moves from the nearness of God in our lives to dealing with sin in verses 8 and 9?
- In what way does not taking the seriousness of our sin as believers work against our spending time with God?
- In what way does verse 8- 10 agree with what John under the inspiration of Holy Spirit has said to believers in 1 John 1:9? What does it mean to confess?
- In what way does James 4: 5-10 supply the "sufficient reason" to develop a spiritually healthy habit of spending time with God every day?
- How does this passage help us understand what some of the elements of spending time with God might include?
- What is the promise contained in verse 10?
- What have you learned from this passage about spending time with God on a regular basis?
- What are you going to do with the truth that God desires for you to draw near to Him?