"Prayer - What an Offer" - June 10, 2018
- Why do you think Jesus used a vine and branches to illustrate our relationship with Him and what kind of relationship does it describe?
- What does it mean to abide in Jesus?
- What does it mean to have Jesus word abide in us?
- What is the promise found in verse seven?
- What is the "if" of this promise? In what way does meeting the condition the "if" introduces open the door to answered prayer?
- What does it mean that I can ask whatever I wish? How does this promise fit with James 4:1 – 3? How does the conditions of verse 7 address the error found in James 4?
- In what way could meeting the conditions set forth change what we may wish for and thus ask for? Check out Psalm 37: 3 - 4.
- Compare the promise Jesus makes in verse 7 with the one He makes in verse 16. In what way are they similar and in what way are they different? What does it mean to ask in Jesus name?
- What is the fruit that we are to bear? How does it glorify God and prove we are Christ's disciples? Consider Gal.5: 22- 24; John 13: 34, 35; Matt.7: 15 –20.
- What does fruit bearing have to do with prayer and what we are inclines (wish) to pray for?
- In what way does the promise concerning prayer in verse 7 connect with the whole of what Jesus offers in John 15:1 – 11? Connect with and fashions the sum of our lives?
- In what way does verses 1 – 6 help us understand how we are to meet the conditions of verse 7?
- What does it mean that Jesus joy may be in us? What is that joy? What does it look like and feel like? How does it get into us?
- What does it mean that our joy may be made full? In what way is this joy connected with the offer of answered prayer in verse 7?
- What have you learned about prayer from this passage and what are you going to do with what you have learned?