"Prayer" - June 3, 2018
- What is a hypocrite and why does Jesus not want us to be like them – especially when we pray?
- What does it mean they "have their reward in full"? What are they missing by settling for this kind of reward?
- Within the context of this verse why do you think Jesus instructs to pray in secret? Is this a rule to be followed when we pray? What deeper spiritual truth about prayer is Jesus getting at than just the mechanics of prayer?
- What are the appropriate venues for prayer? In what way would the venue and situation influence the prayer? I.e. individual, corporate, worship service, thanksgiving, meal, dedication...
- What does it mean to pray using "meaningless repetitions"? Give some examples.
- What is the error behind praying with many words?
- Why do you think Jesus gave the disciples a sample prayer? What does it mean to "pray in this way"?
- What important elements of prayer become evident as you read through verse 9 – 13?
- In Phil. 4: 6 scripture tells us to be anxious for nothing. What does that mean?
- In what way does prayer offer the solution to our anxiety?
- What is supplication?
- Why is thanksgiving to be included in our prayers, especially when we are anxious?
- Why is it important that we let our "request be made known unto God" when Matt. 6:8 tells us God already knows our needs before we pray?
- Where and when have you personally seen God answer your prayers in an unmistakable way?
- In what way are you going to apply what you have learned about prayer from this passage this coming week?