Proverbs 6:12 – 19, "Seven Things God Hates"
1. In what way does the revelation that "God hates" reaffirm the reality that God also equally "loves"? That we are created in the image of God?
2. How does the fact that God is love and a God of love, help us understand why God would hate certain things?
3. From Proverbs 6:16 we learn that God hates six "things". How does this help us understand that God hates sin as it manifests itself through actions and behaviors and not the people themselves? Think this through in light of John 3:16 and the very nature of the gospel of Jesus. In what way should or should we not hate sin?
4. In what way is God's hatred for sin, characterized by the seven listed in Proverbs 6, understood in light of His nature and holiness. Check out Psalm 5:4; 89:35; 92:15; Isaiah 6:3; Romans 9:14; Rev. 6:8
5. In my message I used a number of passages that help us fully appreciate how God sees sin. How do the following passages help us understand why God hates sin and declares them abominations (morally disgusting and abhorrent) Isa. 1:6 - sores; Psalm 38:4 - burden; Titus 1:15; 2 Cor. 7:1 – defilement; Matt.6:12-15- debt; 1 John 1:6 – darkness; Isa. 1:18 – stain. How are these manifested in the sins of our age?
6. God has really good reasons to hate sin, to declare them abominations. How do the following reasons reflect God's genuine love for us and His desire for us to be all we were created to be? What do they tell us about God?
· Sin separates – God hates to be separated from us.
· Sin deceives and offers an unholy substitution, worlds pleasures for God's blessing - God desires the very best for us. John 3:16; Romans 6:23...
· Sin blinds to the truth, promises no consequence (Gal. 6:7) - God wants us to know Him in Spirit and truth. To know the truth and to be set free. John 14:2
· Sin enslaves and eventually kills – God created us for freedom and life
· Sin lessens our love for God – God is a jealous God James 4:4-5; Luke 16:13
7. What does it mean to have haughty eyes? (Dictionary will help) Why is this kind of pride a sin God hates? 1 Peter 5:5-8; Philippians 2:3-5.
8. In what way does a lying tongue make us resemble Satan more than any other sin?
9. Why is spreading strife among brother a sin that God hates? Phil. 2:1-2; John 17:20-21. What does it mean to spread strife among brothers? New testament examples?
10. How do each of these things God hates correspond with the reason God hates sin?
11. Read Paul's prayer for us in 1 Thess. 5:23. How does this prayer express the heart of God for each of us? In what way can I co-operate with God to make this prayer a reality?
12. What have I learned about God and sin, and how am I going to act upon what I now know?
· Extra Exploration: As I mentioned in the sermon, God is on record as hating 45 things. What are they and why would God hate them? There is a list of them in Meredith's Book of Bible Lists. You can find this list on google. Meredith only lists 43 – does not include Deut. 16:22 and Amos 5:21